We've had our first trips out, just the three of us, to story time at the library, coffee/playtime with some good friends and the grocery store. So far, they have been just fine. Sawyer is perfectly content in his car seat or front pack and as long as we're either playing or have plenty of snacks Ara is good to go!
It's funny how having a new baby can make you realize how far your older child has come, or how smart and big they are. To me, Ara just seems like such a big girl. Physically changing her diaper she just is big! Compared to Sawyer, of course. And how much she is doing these days. She understands SO much of what we say. "Bring me a diaper, please." "Put that away." "Time to pick up." Etc.. She is really helping out too. It's nice when your child can understand enough to really start to help you out!
Right now Sawyer seems to be a pretty easy going baby. He doesn't spit up, like Ara did (so nice) but maybe not as good a sleeper…? TBD… :-) Also, very glad that the circumcision is done and over with and the umbilical cord is almost off.
Okay, on to the birth story..
First off, I REALLY thought I would go into labor earlier than I did with Ara. I was just feeling many things that made me think this baby was coming soon. Ara was born at 38 weeks 5 days. So, I thought with the second child, he would be earlier. Wrong. 37, 38, 39 weeks came and went. Friday, January 24th I was 39 weeks and I did start having contractions in the evening. Jordan and I both thought, "Okay, well wake up early morning have go to the hospital." (Assuming things would be progressing.) But I woke up Saturday morning not feeling much other than the usual braxton hicks I'd been having for the past 2 months. I was upset. But the day was BEAUTIFUL and we made the most of it by having a family day and going to the park with Ara. I quickly realized that God had blessed us with this day as a family of 3. She had so much fun. It was an awesome day. She even had her first sub sand from Subway. Our fave.
Around 7pm that evening the "braxton hicks" started to kick in quite a bit. I told Jordan maybe something was happening because they were kind of starting to hurt. But, every time I sat down to relax they went away. Everything I had read said that meant, it's not really labor, just braxton hicks. It was SO confusing, every time I had a contraction it hurt really bad but then it would go away, and they weren't consistent. I decided to take a warm bath and see if they continued to come. They definitely were less frequent and less painful in the bath. BUT- once I got out they HURT. "Okay", it was time I thought. By now it was 9pm and we needed to get Ara up and drop her off at our friend Janelle and Pauls for the evening. (Thank you Janelle and Paul!!!!!) Jordan was freaking out and in a hurry. I thought it was necessary to mop the floor before we left and I think Jordan was going to have a conniption. I was buckled over in pain- trying to mop the floor on my hands and knees. (Did I mention I was neurotic about making sure the house was clean before I went to bed every night for the past 3 weeks?!) And I'm pretty sure it was NOT clean this day. But I was trying to put a band aid on it.
We got to the hospital and contractions were about 4 mins apart. Got admitted pretty fast, they checked me at triage and I was dilated to a 6. WOOHOO! I was there for about 5 minutes and then in my labor room. I immediately asked for an epidural. After the epidural not working last time with Ara, I was really hoping for a different experience and that it would work. That I could have a pain free delivery. However, they have to ask you 1 million stupid questions and get your vitals before they can do anything. This felt like fooorrrreeevvveeerrrrrr. About 2 hours later I finally got it! By then I was 8cm dilated. But it was wonderful. Labor hurts. Bad. For those of you who go natural, you get 10 gold stars. At least. I did get the epidural with Ara and it worked for a few hours, then wore off on one side then wore off completely by the time I was in transition and pushing. Ugh.
I will say once I got the epidural, labor did slow down. I was at a 9 for a long time. But thankfully I never did have to get pitocin. After many hours of not sleeping (too excited!) It was time to push! This time was the complete opposite of my labor with Ara. With her, I labored all day with many family members coming to visit. I was in a lot of pain, most of the day. When it was time to push there were 2 anesthesiologist's, 2 nurses, 1 doctor, my mom and Jordan. This time it was dark, the middle of the night, not much pain, quiet, just Jordan, 2 nurses and the doctor. It was calm and almost serene..? Pushing with Ara was fast, only 10 minutes. This time pushing was about 25 minutes. And I will attribute that to the epidural. I didn't feel the contractions like I did with her. But I will take this labor over my first 100 times.
At 3:46am on Sunday morning little Sawyer was born. Ahhh, my sweet precious baby at last. Crying and looking confused all purple, on my chest. There is NOTHING, NOT ANYTHING more lovely, rewarding or more awesome than this feeling. Pure joy and just a feeling that you are proud. He was perfect in every way. I just couldn't believe how Jordan and I we're blessed.
The next few hours were spent with just us 3, crying and smiling at our precious baby boy. Early the next morning Jordan's family came to visit and later the afternoon my mom made it from Idaho. I was a zombie at this point. I had not slept at all that night but not caring because you want to just love your precious baby who is just hours old, straight from heaven.
Right now, Sawyer seems to be another angel baby. I always knew that I would love him like I love Ara- I just didn't know how. But you just do. Immediately. My heart is so full. When I am holding both of them I just can't imagine my life any sweeter. God has given me a sense of peace and contentment that I am right where I am supposed to be. I am a mother to two beautiful gifts from God. All my prayers have been answered. Maybe not in the way I thought they would be, or in the timing I thought they would be. But they have. Saying that I am grateful and thankful and happy wouldn't even begin to describe it. There are no words.
Here are some additional pictures from the past week and of our DIY newborn photo shoot. :-)
| Angel baby |
| Just a little furry on the back… thanks Grandpa Bertsch :-) |
| LOVE this face. |
![]() |
| Grammie and Ara at our first outing. |
![]() |
| Two sleeping babies- it is possible! |
| Sawyer likes to cross his hands while he eats. What a gentleman. |
| First time out of the house! |
![]() |
| Ara's special caretakers! |
| First time I ever painted Ara's nails was for a Seahawks game.. really?? |
![]() |
| Your first game was a big one, little guy. You must be our good luck charm! |






No comments:
Post a Comment