This past weekend is probably the most fun weekend I've had all summer. Well, for sure it was. We went camping up at Detroit Lake with some good friends for Jakes 30th birthday. The weather was glorious and thanks to Shar we had PRIMO camp spots right next to the lake. It was just a very short walk down to the water-thanks Shar, you rock!
Saturday we took Ara on her first boat ride (pretty surprising considering my dad/brother are fishing addicts). A BIG shout out to Brad and Amy for providing the most awesome ski boat ever and the best time ever.
We were in the boat for about 5 seconds when a big wave came up and knocked Ara flat on the ground and then the screaming ensued. On top of already being EXHAUSTED from a late bedtime and no napping, this was just fuel to the fire. After about 30 minutes of on/off crying while Jake surfed I decided it was probably best I go in with her so she could nap. Finally, finally she fell asleep on the boat! Can we say hallelujah?! It's so stressful having a crying/screaming baby-let alone on a boat, with company.
Okay, with Ara asleep Shar tried her hand at surfing and dominated. Then I got kind of brave and tried as well. Being preggers and all I was very nervous but everyone said it was so low impact and safe and I was really excited to try. Try I did. It took a couple of times to get up but I did get up, barely. It was a lot of fun and had I not been with child I would probably be more brave and not want to let go every time I thought I was going to fall. Next summer...!!!
Later we met up with the rest of the crew and anchored down, literally, in a no wake zone. From then on it was hours of swimming, floating, eating, relaxing and wonderfulness. Aside from the earlier meltdown from Ara she was not a fan of the life jacket. Making me nervous every time we took it off her. A new life vest is in our immediate future. I have already googled what are the best for babies. Apparently, many babies have problems from the bulkiness of vests like ours.
Later that night we celebrated Jake and Marks birthday with the traditional birthday camping dinner of live fresh lobster flown in from Maine. Later, after that was countless, not-so-quiet, laughs around the campfire.
All the kids were SO, SO adorable and fun to watch play together. I pretty much fell in love with every one of them. I think I have found a new baby sitter in Georgia, she is the SWEETEST. Ara had a good time with everyone and slept pretty much all day on Sunday after we got home. She has a big purple memento on her left cheek from her boating adventures. It wouldn't be right without some kind of token from her first camping trip! Well, that and a few pesky mosquito bites!
 |
| Playing on the beach next to our campsite. |
 |
| Signature stink face. |
 |
| Sam, "What the HECK are you doing?" |
 |
| Sweet Grayson feeding Ara her milk. |
 |
| Now Gwenna feeding Ara her milk. She must have looked very thirsty. |
 |
| Two girls just relaxing in their lounge chair. |
 |
| Ice was a huge hit on the boat. |
 |
| Jake, surfing like a pro. |
 |
| Brad schooling me on how to surf. |
 |
| Preciousness. |
 |
| Adorable. |
 |
| Shar is dominating that surf. |
 |
| Only need one hand. |
 |
| The 2 seconds I was up! |
 |
| And then down. In my defense I perfected the backwards fall. |
 |
| Catching wind in the front of the boat |
 |
| Add caption |
 |
| This is how you drive us home. |
 |
| The traditional birthday camping dinner. |
 |
| Dad got a little sun. |
 |
| So did mom and Ara. |
No comments:
Post a Comment